Monday, March 14, 2011

5 days, 13 hours, 3 minutes

My first triathlon is coming up in less than a week.  I am both excited and nervous about this.  I met someone on plenty of fish about 2 years ago, they peaked my interest in cycling.  Shortly after that I purchased a new Orbea, fitted to me.  I bought road shoes based on his advice.  But have learned that I like to actually be able to get off the bike and walk like normal, so I bought some sport shoes recently.


After buying the bike and starting to ride a friend made the comment "the next thing you know, you will be doing triathlons"  My first instinct was NO WAY.  Of course, when I thought triathlon, I was thinking Iron Man.  Being the inquisitive person I am, I started researching.  The shortest triathlon is a sprint.  This generally consists of a quarter to half mile swim, 14 mile bike ride and 5k.  Needless to say the seed was planted.

I was a swimmer in high school, so I wasn't worried about that.  But I had to commit to a gym in order to actually practice, that took awhile.  So far the 5k will be my weakest area in that I am not running.  8 weeks of training and every time I do something I am faster, stronger.  So really the goal is just to finish at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment